Recipe by Stacky5
My Mom made this for us on SPECIAL OCCASIONS....She always served it with rice, and there were never any leftovers! This is a wonderful Japanese marinade that you've gotta try to believe!
Top Review by Oolala
And SPECIAL it is! It was fantastic and so easy to make! My kids said "Mmmmm" and ate a lot. I used 2 Splenda packets in place of the sugars in the recipe so that it would be more diabetic friendly. It must be incredible with the "real thing." Now that I think about it, I don't even know if it matters since the sugar is only a total of 3 tsp. anyway! I happened to have Sake left over from the other night and wanted to use it in cooking and I had a flank steak defrosted. Searched on ingredients and that's how I found this recipe. Love the way this site works! DH will be in for a treat when he gets in tonight. I will surely make this again. Thanks Stacy!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks, not scored
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sake (or substitute sherry if needed)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Make marinade by combining all ingredients into a glass pan, except the flank steak.
- Place steak in the glass pan with the marinade and allow it to marinade for 24 to 48 hours.
- Drain well.
- Grill (or broil) over hot charcoal 4 to 5 minutes. Slice very, very thinly (against the grain) on the diagonal.
- Note: This steak is marvelous cold for hors d'oeurves or for salad the next day!