Recipe by Stacky5
My Mom used to make this for us, after she was just a little too old to stand in the kitchen for too long...It was one of her favorites that was easy to make, yet tasted like good old-fashioned comfort food...Sure do miss my Mom!!!
Top Review by Aunt Paula
Whole family enjoyed this nice comfort food meal. Followed recipe as stated, except I used rotini, and we loved it. Added rolls and a salad, perfect dinner for a cold day like today with snowflakes flying. Will always think of you when I make this recipe.
- 2 cups macaroni, cooked and drained, and tossed with
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb sage sausage, browned, broken into chunks and drained of grease (Weber brand was my Mom's favorite, but I prefer Jimmy Dean's)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (Classico was the only brand Mom would use for this.)
- 1 (6 ounce) jarsliced button mushrooms, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) packageshredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, grated (Kraft)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2 quart, ungreased casserole dish, layer twice: 1/2 cooked macaroni, 1/2 cooked sausage, then 1/2 sauce, 1/2 mushrooms, 1/2 shredded cheese. Do the same layering again.
- Sprinkle Romano cheese on top.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes, until cheese is slightly browned and casserole is bubbly.