1/26 Photos of Jolean's Cheese Potato & Smoked Sausage Casserole
This was another one of our favorites in the 70's Very inexpensive and very easy to make. Just recently found this recipe hand-written by my Mom, and the warm feelings flood back to me, because this was a true favorite in our house. Little did I know that she was on such a tight budget, yet made things like this that we all loved!! NOTE: The meat that was used in this recipe always varied, according to whatever we had available at the time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups idaho potatoes, peeled, boiled and cut into cubes when cool, approx. 1 lb
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 lb Velveeta cheese, diced
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb skinless smoked sausage (Eckrich is my favorite brand)
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1Cut skinless smoked sausage in half, lengthwise, and then chop into 1/2 inch "half moon" cuts. Cook in a frying pan for about 15 minutes, turning frequently to SLIGHTLY brown.
- 2Meanwhile, put cooked & diced potatoes in 2 quart casserole. Add cooked meat and give it a gentle toss.
- 3Mix all remaining ingredients (except for shredded cheddar cheese & the paprika) in a saucepan over medium heat until warm, melted and smooth. (Use a whisk and stir constantly.).
- 4Pour white/cheese sauce over potatoes and meat. Sprinkle shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top, and then sprinkle paprika evenly over the top.
- 5Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 35-45 minutes (watch, until golden brown on top).
- 6NOTE: You can substitute: 1/2 lb. hot dogs, sliced into 1/2-inch slices OR 1/2 lb. ham diced into 1/2-inch dices OR 12 oz. can of Spam diced into 1/2-inch dices, instead of the smoked sausage.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jolean's Cheese Potato & Smoked Sausage Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 871.3
- Calories from Fat 587
- Total Fat 65.2 g
- Saturated Fat 31.7 g
- Cholesterol 176.6 mg
- Sodium 2326.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 33.5 g