Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe my boyfriend John came up with. It's not for the faint of heart! When he cooks, he's dead serious about it. So if you like a sauce that sticks to EVERYTHING, than give this one a try.
- 1 (26 ounce) jarfavorite spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2 large fresh green pepper, chopped
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) canchopped black olives, juice reserved
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes or 1 (15 ounce) canone pound chopped firm roma tomatoes, the fresher the better
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste, divided
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄2 of a large yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup favorite salsa (optional)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- oregano, to taste
- italian seasoning, to taste
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (to taste)
- fresh ground pepper
- meat, and other
- vegetables (optional)
- fresh grated parmesan cheese or other Italian cheese, to taste
- Begin heating your favorite spaghetti sauce over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate skillet or small pot, brown the chopped onion in 1 tablespoon butter until caramelized. Add a pinch of oregano and/or Italian seasoning to the onions while they are cooking.
- Once onions are caramelized, add them, along with the chopped green pepper, to the slowly heating spaghetti sauce. Add FRESH ground pepper to taste.
- Into the same skillet or pot just used for the onions, put 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, reserved juice from black olives, and 1 teaspoon tomato paste. Turn heat to LOW and reduce this until thickened (about 7-12 minutes). Watch carefully to avoid scorching/burning.
- While this is reducing, add 2 tablespoons FRESH minced garlic, 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, 1/2 cup salsa (if using), remaining tomato paste, FRESH chopped tomatoes, 1 tablespoon butter, and meat and veggies (if using) to heating spaghetti sauce.
- Cook spaghetti sauce until thick (no puddling). Turn off heat, remove pot from burner and let sauce sit about 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add 3 tablespoons sour cream, one at a time, stirring gently and thoroughly after each addition.
- Incorporate the reduced olive oil, olive juice, and tomato paste mixture into spaghetti sauce.
- Stir in enough Parmesan cheese to your liking.
- Serve with hot noodles, cheesy garlic bread, and extra fresh grated cheese.