Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My husband found this about 30 years ago in The Spice Cookbook & has been making it ever since at the holidays. He's my bread-maker & a really good one, too. Excellent with leftover turkey or toasted with butter for breakfast.
- 8 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fast-rising active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons dill seeds
- 1 tablespoon dry dill weed
- 1⁄4 cup instant minced onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- Using a heavy duty mixer, combine all dry ingredients with 4 cups of the flour.
- Place milk & butter in a microwave bowl & heat on HIGH for 3 1/2 minute or until mixture reaches 115 degrees.
- In a separate bowl beat eggs to a froth.
- Using a dough hook at low speed, combine heated milk/butter combo & dry ingredients in mixer bowl, then add beaten eggs.
- Continue to knead at low speed while slowly adding (in 1/2 cup increments) remaining flour until dough begins to release from sides of bowl. Place dough in a greased bowl covered with a dishtowel & let rise until double in volume.
- Punch down & let rest for 10 minutes. After resting divide into loaves of desired size & let rise again until double in size.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. After removing from the oven, brush loaves with melted butter.
- Makes 2 large or 8 small loaves. Time does not include rising time.