Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a simple very tasty recipe created by my husband's creativity one day. Homemade by scratch and lots better then any store bought manufactured tortilla, flexible and easy to apply to any use, makes very good soft corn taco shells.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add Melted Butter.
- Add water slowly until the mixture resembles dough.
- Divide dough into balls, hand roll into golf ball sized dough balls.
- Roll out dough with rolling pin as thin as you can get it on a floured surface.
- Cook on a flat griddle at 300 F 1 min on each side, on a lightly buttered griddle until the tortilla is thin, soft, flexible, and a pale yellow color.
- a. color approximate based on preference.
- Tip 1: Tortilla should not be crispy like a chip, but flexible & soft, turn heat down until you reach a desired consistency. Also, you can reheat cooled tortillas in microwave to regain the flexibility if it becomes stiff.
- Tip 2: If using a large skillet on a range top stove, use Med to Med-High heat depending on range top, 1-2 min on each side until tortilla is soft, flexible, and a pale yellow color.
- a. Color approximate based on personal preference.
- Tip 3. Use a non-stick spatula or a large plastic slotted spatula to lift the rolled tortilla off the floured surface when transferring it to the griddle or skillet for cooking so that you don’t accidently break the uncooked tortilla.
This is a great recipe! I was looking high and low for a tortilla recipe that used cornmeal (instead of masa flour), but one that did not use eggs, which made it more crepe-like. This was easy to make and turned out a tortilla that tasted like a tortilla should. Thank you for sharing this!