This is a simple very tasty recipe created by my husband's creativity one day. Homemade by scratch and lots better then any store bought manufactured tortilla, flexible and easy to apply to any use, makes very good soft corn taco shells.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix dry ingredients together.
- 2Add Melted Butter.
- 3Add water slowly until the mixture resembles dough.
- 4Divide dough into balls, hand roll into golf ball sized dough balls.
- 5Roll out dough with rolling pin as thin as you can get it on a floured surface.
- 6Cook on a flat griddle at 300 F 1 min on each side, on a lightly buttered griddle until the tortilla is thin, soft, flexible, and a pale yellow color.
- 7a. color approximate based on preference.
- 8Tip 1: Tortilla should not be crispy like a chip, but flexible & soft, turn heat down until you reach a desired consistency. Also, you can reheat cooled tortillas in microwave to regain the flexibility if it becomes stiff.
- 9Tip 2: If using a large skillet on a range top stove, use Med to Med-High heat depending on range top, 1-2 min on each side until tortilla is soft, flexible, and a pale yellow color.
- 10a. Color approximate based on personal preference.
- 11Tip 3. Use a non-stick spatula or a large plastic slotted spatula to lift the rolled tortilla off the floured surface when transferring it to the griddle or skillet for cooking so that you don’t accidently break the uncooked tortilla.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for John's Homeade Corn Tortillas
Serving Size: 1 (40 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 167.0
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 129.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 2.9 g