Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This is wonderful on a hot summer night. The flavours are amazing. The longer you marinade the salad the better it is...try to let it sit for 24 hours...You will not be disappointed.
- 6 large cucumbers
- 2 large vidalia onions
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Run a fork down the cucumbers, all over, making slight indentations.
- Cut the cucumber in half, lengthwise.
- Scoop out all the seeds.
- Cut the cucumber halves into 1/8" strips.
- Peel the onion and cut lengthwise into quarters.
- Slice the quarters crosswise into thin strips.
- In a large bowl, combine cucumber and onions with lime juice, salt and sugar.
- Toss well.
- Add hot pepper flakes, olive oil, vinegar and water, toss well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Very nice recipe. I used English cucumbers, left the peel on, scooped out the seeds and sliced them on my mandolin, along with the sweet onions. I also added the zest of the limes, as they are too expensive to just use the juice. Took it to our church pot luck where it was well received. :)
Made yesterday and yum! I increased the sugar to 1 teaspoon and may go even a bit more on that the next time. I also peeled my cucumbers and cut them using a mandoline. So I would have some "kick" I added one dash of cayenne in addition to the hot pepper flakes, great! Thanks for posting, Baby Kato, this is a great recipe!
This was very refreshing served next to a spicy pork chop. I love the flavors of this since I am not a big cucumber fan - but I love pickles! I will definitely be making this again as it is so easy.