Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a little different than other Bread Salads you may have tried, but it is a hit at our house. Use any dressing you like, add sauteed chicken or even tuna...make it your own! We do a lot of Asian dressings, Italian works well too.
- 2 cups bread cubes (we use French or anything "crusty")
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- olive oil or sesame oil
- salad dressing (we use viniagrettes)
- -Sautee the onion in oil- enough to coat the bottom of a frying pan. We use Olive oil and a little bit of Sesmae oil usually.
- -When the onions are done to your liking, add the cubed bread, continue to saute. The bread will soak up the oil and turn golden.
- -Dump this into a large bowl, add salad dressing to soak into the bread, about 1/2 cup, more if you like. Let sit a few minutes.
- -Toss with any salad blend, lettuce will warm and wilt a bit. Add more dressing if desired. Often we make this a meal and add sauteed chicken at the end.
Easy to make. I used homemade whole wheat bread and tamari ginger Asian dressing and added a couple stalks of sliced celery. We'd never had bread salad before, so I don't really know if we're just not big on bread salad in general or if this didn't turn out right for me. The flavor was good, but everything but the celery was just kind of wilty and soggy. I know the recipe said the lettuce would wilt a bit, but it wilted a lot. I'd use something else instead of lettuce if I were to make this again. I think it would be better with broccoli and cauliflower florets. I'd also make sure to get the bread really really well toasted before it goes into the dressing. I sauteed the bread for 10 minutes over medium heat and that doesn't seem to have been long enough. Thanks anyway.