Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
The original Johnny Marzetti dish originated in Columbus, Ohio, at the Marzetti restaurant in the 1920's when the owner named it after his brother. There are multiple versions of the recipe and this one is from a friend of my father's from his US Navy days. Easy to make ahead and freeze. Great as leftovers.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 (10 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 (6 ounce) canlarge olives, cut into halves
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 32 ounces cooked egg noodles (any noodles will work)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat the oven to 350F and then spray a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, brown the ground beef, onion, garlic and salt and pepper. The ground beef should be fully cooked. Drain the grease.
- Add the soup, tomato sauce, tabasco and seasoning along with 1 tomato soup can full of water (after you have emptied the soup) to the ground beef mixture. Mix well.
- Add the olives, corn and noodles to the ground beef mixture and stir well to mix.
- Add the mixture to the 9x13 pan and pack down lightly. Coat the surface of the mixture with the cheese. Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1 1/4-1 1/2 hour. If you want a golden cheese crust, take the foil off when the casserole is done and stick it under a broiler til it turns golden. Serve immediately.