Cook1 hr 15 mins
Posting for ZWT 7. This recipe comes from panamaliving.com/recipes web site.
Make and share this Johnny Mazetti (Panama) recipe from Food.com.
- 16 ounces egg noodles
- 1 1⁄2 lbs.- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 2 cups chopped green peppers
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄3 cup chopped stuffed green olive
- 8 ounces tomato paste
- 8 oz.can tomato sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce (Arturo)
- 8 oz.can sliced mushrooms
- 1 lb grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Homemade Arturo Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped mushroom
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch ginger
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- FOR THE HOMEMADE ARTURO SAUCE:.
- Mix all ingredients together and saute` on low until bubbles begin. Yield is about 1 cup good for a recipe calling for 8 oz can.
- FOR THE CASSEROLE:.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet brown ground beef, drain, then put in large pot, add chopped peppers, onions, celery, olives and mushrooms. Then add the seasoning and garlic powder to the pot. Mix those ingredients well. Add sauces and tomato paste then mix again. Cook over medium low heat for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- In another pot, cook noodles -- when done, add them to the mixture and stir very well. Place mixture in long oblong pan in layers. On each layer, place shredded cheese but leave enough for the top.
- Place about 4 teaspoons of butter on the top with remaining cheese, and bake at 350°F for about 35 minutes or until the cheese melts and it is a golden brown. Serve and enjoy. Leftovers freeze well.
This was a super recipe, great comfort food, which I made to take to friends and enjoy in front of a roaring fire while watching rugby! I really liked the Arturo sauce and can see me making that again to use in other dishes, but the whole casserole was delicious and enjoyed by everyone, no leftovers!! The olives are an interesting addition and definitely worth using! This recipe was made in memory of Papa D, rest in deserved peace, Papa, you live on in our thoughts
Sometimes I just crave a delicious casserole! And this was delicious! I was drawn to this by the olives, and probably added a tiny bit more to the recipe. Bonus gift of the Arturo Sauce is especially appreciated....I think I have several uses for this sauce planned. :) Thanks for sharing! Made for Photo Tag.