1/1 Photo of Johnny Marzetti Updated
1 hr 35 mins
Satisfying comfort food. I feel like an authority on Johnny Marzetti casserole by now; for each household's preferences I have a unique casserole. This is the basic recipe, updated to 2008 from Jean Anderson's "The American Century Cookbook". Why follow a recipe from the 1950s and 1960s exactly how it was, when so many choices are available to us now? I call this an updated version of Johnny Marzetti, using sweet (Vidalia type) onions, minced garlic, baby portabello mushrooms, low-sodium tomato sauce, and bow tie pasta (farfalle). When all is said and done, this is a tasty casserole I am requested to make again and again (in all its incarnations). This fills one large 14 x 11 1/2 x 2-inch aluminum foil pan for a buffet serving setup, or two 11 x 7 x 2-inch baking dishes. My preparation times are usually longer than average; I am the slowest chopper in the Western Hemisphere.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion (peeled and chopped)
- 3 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 3/4 lb baby portabella mushrooms (wiped clean and thinly sliced)
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 3 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs sharp cheddar cheese (coarsely shredded)
- 1 lb bow tie pasta (or elbow macaroni)
- 1Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place the farfalle (aka bow ties) into the pot, cook 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 3Lightly grease 14 x 11 1/2 x 2 1/4-inch baking dish (or two 8x8-inch pans) and set aside.
- 4Heat olive oil in a very large heavy skillet over moderate heat 1 minute.
- 5Add onion and garlic. Stir-fry until limp, about 3 minutes.
- 6Add mushrooms and stir-fry until juices are released and evaporate, about 5 minutes.
- 7Add beef and cook and stir, breaking up clumps, until no longer red, about 5 minutes.
- 8Off heat, mix in tomato sauce and all but 1 cup cheese.
- 9Transfer to baking dish, add bow ties, and toss gently but thoroughly to mix.
- 10Scatter remaining 1 cup cheese on top.
- 11Bake, uncovered, until browned and bubbling, 35-40 minutes, and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Johnny Marzetti Updated
Serving Size: 1 (287 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 537.9
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 138.4 mg
- Sodium 788.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 37.4 g