Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My mom got this recipe from a friend in Pennsylvania. It's a belly warming casserole that doesn't take long to put together. <><
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package sloppy joe seasoning mix
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can corn
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook macaroni in boiling water. Drain and set aside.
- Brown beef in a large skillet.Drain.
- To beef add, sloppy joe mix, tomato paste and water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the macaroni, corn and 1 cup of cheese to the beef.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13, buttered casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350* for 45 minutes or until hot.
Though not especially photogenic, this easy-to-do comfort food tastes better than it looks. We used curly noodles and otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Watch the baking time; it won't take a full 45 minutes unless you like your cheese pretty crispy. Some of us wondered why it was baked at all because it seemed to be just as good sampled out of the skillet before it went into the oven as afterward. Nevertheless we enjoyed it and will likely make it again. Made for Pick A Chef March 09.