Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Many years ago, Johnny had stolen this recipe from 2Bleu. Well, the law finally caught him but to save Johnny from a hangin for stealin, 2Bleu told the judge that while it was indeed their recipe, they had given it to Johnny as a gift and planned on putting his name on the cans. 2Bleu just didn't have the heart to see Johnny hangin from a noose (especially since he was secretly their cousin, twice removed). ;) Adjust the jalapeno, cayenne, and chili powder to your desired heat level. For an all-out exlusive dish, try spooning this chili over Johnny Jalapeno's 'jumpin Wagon Wheels!' Macaroni and Cheese!
- 6 ounces bacon, cut up in small pieces (use scissors works great)
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cansbush's chili beans, undrained (or kidney beans)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (or Rotel)
- 0.5 (7 1/2 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped fine (FOR SUPER FIERY CHILI)
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno pepper (FOR A MILDER CHILI)
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika (smoked is best)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (your favorite)
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- tortilla chips
- Over medium heat, brown bacon in a large dutch oven until crisp. Add beef, onions, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is cooked through.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir. Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for 2-3 hrs, stirring occasionally, until thickened to your liking.
- Alternatively, you can let simmer for 1 hr, then let cool, refrigerate overnight and finish cooking the next day.
What a yummy chili recipe. I made as directed except used a little less of the chipotle peppers in adobo...I know how hot those babies are and was nervous about doing as much as called for lol. This had great flavor and really hit the spot on a chilly fall night :) Thanks so much for posting!
Yummy recipe! I used the kidney beans and instead of the ground beef used moose meat a friend had given us. I also made it with the chipotle chilies in adobo sauce. This sure packs some heat. I topped it off with shredded cheese, sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro. YUM! Thanks for posting :)
This recipe is definitely not for the faint of heart. I followed your directions about making the day b/f and simmering on the for a few hours. I thought the bacon would have added a nice touch, but DH said he couldn't taste it due to the hotness of the chili. I did omit the chipotle chilies in adobo and subbed a healthy dash of dried chipotle chili pepper powder. I also only used one can of beans (family preference) and 2 cups of beef broth as DH and DS like a thicker chili. A hearty and filling meal that was perfect for a freezing Michigan winter night. Made for PRMR.