1/4 Photos of Johnny Jalapeno's Taco Cornbread Skillet
Cooking in a cast iron skillet is the true cowboy way and no one knows about cowboy cooking more than the famous outlaw, 'Johnny Jalapeno'! Rumor has it he was almost lynched by the famed McDaniel gang over this recipe. They shouted "This ain't no derned cowboy supper, ain't no beans in it!" Well, Johnny ran quick as lightning over to the campfire, and made another skillet supper, this time adding the last can of beans he had! Saved his life them beans did! ;) Also try Johnny's Johnny Jalapeno's Cheddar Cakes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix (Old El Paso is Johnny's favorite)
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, drained well (or pinto or black beans)
- 1 cup kernel corn
- 1 (8 ounce) box corn muffin mix
- 1/3 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapenos
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1Lightly grease the inside of an 10" cast iron skillet with a little butter. Place in oven and turn temperature to 450°F.
- 2Meanwhile, cook beef (and onion if using) in a medium sized skillet. When almost done (drain if necessary), add seasoning mix, stirring to coat. Add beans and corn and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- 3In a medium bowl, mix corn muffin mix, milk, and egg until smooth. Add cheddar and jalapeno, mixing to combine. Carefully remove cast iron skillet from oven and spread dough into it, using the back of a wooden spoon (pan will be hot).
- 4Spread beef and bean mixture over dough, leaving a 1/2" border. Bake uncovered 15 minutes.
- 5Sprinkle with monterey jack cheese and bake an additional 2 minutes or until cheese is warm and melted. Top with garnishments, slice pie fashion and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Johnny Jalapeno's Taco Cornbread Skillet
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 412.5
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 83.1 mg
- Sodium 652.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 22.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: