Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This thick, chutney-like sauce goes great brushed on roast chicken, grilled ribs, or shishkabobs. Great to serve centered in a deli meat platter. Decorating a baked ham with pineapple slices and cherries is nice, but if you want something different with a little kick to it, then this is the recipe for you.
- 59.14 ml water
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 226.79 g crushed pineapple, juice and all
- 118.29 ml maraschino cherry (plus 2 Tbsp of the juice)
- 59.14 ml honey
- 2-3 jalapenos, chopped (to taste)
- 29.58 ml raisins
- 1.23 ml ground ginger
- DIPPING SAUCE: To a medium saucepan mix water and cornstarch until cornstarch is dissolved. Place on burner over medium low heat and add remaining sauce ingredients.
- Let simmer 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened. Let cool slightly and place in a food processor or use an emulsion blender to get a smooth consistency.
- Serve warm or cold for a meat or vegetable platter. As a glaze for grilling, simply brush on the last few minutes of grill time. For a roast chicken or turkey (whole or parts), follow glazing directions for ham.
- BAKED HAM: Preheat oven to 325°F Using a sharp knife, score a 3 lb pork shoulder (or other ham roast) skin 1/4" deep in a diagonal direction. Repeat about 2" apart. Now cut opposite lines to create a diamond pattern. Place about 2 tablespoons whole cloves in the points of the diamonds, pushing them into the ham.
- GLAZING: Remove ham 30 minutes before done and spread (or brush) about 1 cup of the sauce all over the ham. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup brown sugar and continue to bake for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle about 1/3 cup honey over ham. Let rest 20-30 minutes before slicing. Serve with additional glaze at the table for a dipping sauce or garnish.
Made this to use as a dip for some chicken tenders that I served for a group I host (part of a large finger food counter) & did those tenders ever go fast, as did this great tasting dip! I look forward to using it on chicken breasts & even on some grilled salmon! Many thanks! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]