This is a super easy and wonderful Mexican rice that can be adjusted for a Vegan-friendly side dish as well. Great for OAMC as it freezes well in Ziploc bags for future use. Serve it with Johnny Jalapeno's Easy Refried Beans 299032 and Johnny Jalapeno's Chicken Enchiladas With Cilantro for a perfect Mexican supper.
- NOTE: This step is important as it removes the starch from the rice so it will not stick. --- Place rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear- about 1-2 minutes, stirring with your (clean) fingers or shaking rice around in the strainer. Shake afterwards also to remove excess water/moisture. Set aside.
- In a large measuring cup or bowl, whisk the broth and tomato paste (and hot sauce if using) to incorporate. Set aside.
- Heat grease/oil over medium high heat in a Dutch oven (or heavy pot). Add rice and stir until rice is translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the onion, jalapeno, and garlic. Saute' for 1-2 minutes until onion is translucent. Stir the broth/paste mixture into the rice. Increase heat to medium high, and bring to a boil.
- Once it begins to boil, give a final stir and reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer 20 minutes.DO NOT REMOVE LID. Remove from heat and let sit for an additional 5 minutes STILL covered.
- Remove lid and stir, fluffing rice. NOTE: If you have little browned crispy rice at the bottom of the pan (not burnt), this is considered a delicacy in Mexico, so don't fight over it!