Recipe by 2Bleu
One of Johnny's first creations, this is a great, easy, and budget friendly comfort food that can be made up in no time flat! Be sure and look for more wonderful JJ recipes from us. If it's got jalapenos, it's Johnny Jalapeno!
Top Review by Camaro Chic
Oh YUM! Spicy comfort food! I used leftover chicken breast, cheddar as well as almond milk for the dumplings. Really liked this and will make it often in the future. Not sure the chicken is needed though- flavorful with or without.... Thank you!
- 5 cups chicken broth (or stock)
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried celery flakes
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (we use habanero sauce)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped jalapenos
- 1⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (or cheddar) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup 2% low-fat milk
- To a medium saucepan over med-high heat, add water, chicken bullion, seasonings, and chicken if using. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Meanwhile, Mix all dumpling ingredients to form a thick dough.
- When pot is ready, drop dumplings by heaping teaspoons into simmering liquid. Do in batches, about 6 at a time. Cook, turning occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, or until dough is cooked through. the soup will thicken up to a creamy sauce as the dumplings are simmering. Serve up in a bowl and enjoy immediately.
- NOTE: as the liquid thickens from the batches of dumplings, simply add more water or chicken stock as needed.