Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a rich pasta sauce that is flavored with Gorgonzola cheese, mushrooms, grilled chicken, and fresh chopped tomatoes.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 453.59 g dry pasta
- 473.18 ml half-and-half
- 113.39 g crumbly gorgonzola
- 226.79 g white button mushrooms, sliced
- 29.58 ml shredded parmesan cheese
- 118.29 ml chopped tomatoes
- Pound chicken breasts until they are 1/2 inch thick season with salt and pepper. Sear chicken in a hot skillet with two tablespoons of oil over medium high heat. Cook on each side for about 4 to 5 minutes or until completely cooked. Remove chicken breasts from heat, and let rest for several minutes before slicing. You may need to add an additional tablespoon of butter or two to the sauce pan to saute the mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms on medium high heat until they are browned. While mushrooms are browning sprinkle with about 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Cook pasta according to instructions on the package. Johnny Carino's typically uses penne pasta, but I like to use a fettuccine pasta because I think it holds the sauce better. Prepare sauce by combining half and half and Gorgonzola in a saucepan heating through. The sauce should thicken slightly. Slice chicken into 1/4 inch slices. Add sauteed mushrooms to the sauce, and stir to combine well. Plate pasta by adding 1/4 of the pasta, 1/4 of the chicken slices. Drizzle with sauce, and top with chopped tomatoes and shredded Parmesan.
- If you need to reheat this dish, I recommend leaving all of this unassembled and reassemble just before serving again. If you do not combine the pasta sauce and pasta together while this is refrigerated the sauce won't soak into the pasta.