Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
the nutty crispy texture of these Pancakes contrasts with the Strawberries.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup gluten-free flour, blend
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1. Measure Cornmeal and place in heat-proof bowl. Add salt, Sugar, mix together.
- 2. Add boiling water to Cornmeal, mix together and cover with a plate or lid. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 3. In another small bowl beat together Egg, Milk, Butter.
- 4. Sift together Flour and Baking Powder.
- 5. In a larger mixing bowl combine Cornmeal and Egg mixtures until smooth. Add Flour mixture and stir just to combine, do not beat or mix together too much: just enough to blend the batter.
- 6. Spoon out 1/4 cup measures of batter onto hot buttered griddle, brown on both sides and serve with Butter, Syrup or Fresh Strawberry Sauce.
- Wash, trim and mash 1 pint Strawberries with a fork. Add 1-2 teaspoons Sugar or Honey. Continue mashing until desired consistency, we like to leave this sauce a little chunky but you can also puree it in a blender. Refrigerate until enjoying with Johnny Cakes.