Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
the nutty crispy texture of these Pancakes contrasts with the Strawberries.
Make and share this Johnny Cakes With Sttawberries recipe from Food.com.
- 1. Measure Cornmeal and place in heat-proof bowl. Add salt, Sugar, mix together.
- 2. Add boiling water to Cornmeal, mix together and cover with a plate or lid. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 3. In another small bowl beat together Egg, Milk, Butter.
- 4. Sift together Flour and Baking Powder.
- 5. In a larger mixing bowl combine Cornmeal and Egg mixtures until smooth. Add Flour mixture and stir just to combine, do not beat or mix together too much: just enough to blend the batter.
- 6. Spoon out 1/4 cup measures of batter onto hot buttered griddle, brown on both sides and serve with Butter, Syrup or Fresh Strawberry Sauce.
- Wash, trim and mash 1 pint Strawberries with a fork. Add 1-2 teaspoons Sugar or Honey. Continue mashing until desired consistency, we like to leave this sauce a little chunky but you can also puree it in a blender. Refrigerate until enjoying with Johnny Cakes.