Purdy Good Cook's Note:
Caribbean style biscuit-like cakes that are great for dunking into savoury dishes such as stews or soup. Next time you whip up a batch of soup, make these to go along with it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place first five ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- 2Make a well in the centre and slowly ad the oil and then the water.
- 3Gently mix until a lose dough forms. Turn gently on to a very lightly floured surface and gently knead in to a ball.
- 4Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- 5Shape the dough into a long roll, about 2-3 inches wide; cut into 18 even pieces.
- 6Shape each piece in to a small ball and then flatten into 1 1/2 inch thick disk.
- 7Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When the oil is hot, fry the johnny cakes in batches for 2-3 min per side, or until puffed and golden. Dry on paper towels and serve.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Johnny Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (26 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 63.2
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 190.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 1.2 g