Recipe by Mona
This has been made by my dad's family for at least four generations.A staple in my household,and a must served with soupbeans and fried potatoes.The ultimate comfort food.Serve piping hot from the oven with tons of butter.
Top Review by Darlene Summers
Mona, I made this yesterday with ham and beans,and fried potatoes,I have an iron Johnny cake pan so I used that to bake them in.OH MY (GOOD STUFF) Ham and beans is a staple in our house,and they ain't no good without Johnny cakes!!! Thanks,Darlene Summers
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal (use yellow)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup lard (I use butter flav cricso or stick oleo)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk or 1 1⁄3 cups sour milk or 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk (all tastes good)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream lard into sugar till creamy.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- In separate bowl combine baking powder,cornmeal,and flour.
- Add dry mixture alternately with the milk to the egg,lard mixture until well blended.
- Bake in greased 9x13 pan at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Also works good in muffin tins for about 15 minutes.