Recipe by Nursebarb
There are a great filled cookie like ones my grandmother made. I use my homemade apple butter for filling, but, as I remember, my grandmother filled them with other types of fruit jam. My kids loved to take these in their school lunches! Make sure to include chilling time for dough!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half or 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- apple butter, for filling
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening, sugar, eggs and cream.
- Add vanilla.
- Stir in combined flour, soda and salt.
- Beat until combined, then chill dough.
- When chilled, roll dough out about 1/8- inch thick.
- Cut into about 48 rounds (You need an even number of rounds.
- Place half the cookie dough rounds on ungreased baking sheet.
- Put a heaping teaspoon of apple butter in the center of each round.
- Top with remaining cookie dough rounds to make a sandwich.
- Crimp edges all around with tines of a fork.
- Prick centers (this allows the steam to be released).
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes.