Recipe by Johnney
I came up with this recipe craving those Chicago Italian Sausage Sandwiches from my childhood. I just replaced the Green Bell Peppers with Green chilies to conform to California's Expectations.
- 8 italian sweet sausage
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (7 ounce) can whole green chilies, split open and cut in half (I use Ortega Brand)
- 1 (28 ounce) can marinara sauce
- 4 slices provolone cheese or 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 French rolls or 4 steak rolls
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove casings from sausages and form 4 patties a little larger than the french rolls. Heat Olive Oil in a large skillet and fry the patties until browned and crispy on both sides. Remove the patties and drain any excess grease from the pan. Add the Marinara Sauce, Green Chiles, Salt and Pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add the patties back into the Marinara Sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Spread 2-3 spoonfuls of sauce on both sides of the roll. Place the chilie on the bottom of the roll then the sausage pattie, cheese and top of roll.
- Cut in half and serve.
- Grab a roll of paper towels and enjoy.