Recipe by Happy Hippie
This recipe was posted in our local newspaper. I liked the list of ingredients and wanted to post here for future reference. If you try this before I do, please write a review, they are extremely helpful.
Top Review by WildLightning
I was about to post this recipe, but you beat me to it. I grew up on this recipe, and as a kid I loved it!! We sliced tomatoes and put them on top during the last 30 minutes of baking, and then put our wedges of cheese casserole into warm flour tortillas with sour cream, guacamole, and salsa. This recipe may be too rich for some adults, but cheese lovers and children alike love it. Thank you for posting it, I am going to make it tonight. I am already thinking of the yummy cheesy bliss that awaits me.....:)
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies, drained
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Dice chiles and combine in a bowl with grated cheeses.
- Put into a well-greased shallow dish (2-quart , 12x8x2 inch).
- With an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until peaks form.
- Set aside egg whites.
- In a bowl, combine egg yolks, milk, flour, salt and pepper.
- Fold egg whites into egg mixture.
- Pour over cheeses.
- Use a fork to push egg mixture into cheese.
- Bake for 1 hour.