My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 eggs, separated
- 20 ounces sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 4 cups monterey jack cheese
- 4 cups mild cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 small green pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 anaheim chili
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced for topping
- ham, diced (optional) or Canadian bacon, cooked (optional)
- 1Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Chop the onion and peppers, then saute lightly in the olive oil.
- 3Set aside.
- 4In a large mixing bowl, separate the egg yolks from the whites, leaving the yolks in the bowl.
- 5Add milk, flour, garlic, and black pepper to the yolks, then mix well.
- 6Add sour cream, the cheeses, and vegetables to the egg mixture.
- 7In another mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- 8Fold the beaten whites into the mixture in the other bowl and blend together.
- 9Grease a baking dish with butter.
- 10Pour the mixture into the baking dish and place in the hot oven.
- 11Bake for 45-60 minutes , turning the dish occasionally, until the top starts to crack.
- 12Three quarters of the way through baking, top with the tomato slices.
- 13Serve with apple cinnamon tortillas lathered with honey butter.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for John Wayne Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 794.7
- Calories from Fat 528
- Total Fat 58.7 g
- Saturated Fat 35.2 g
- Cholesterol 359.3 mg
- Sodium 782.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 40.0 g