Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 eggs, separated
- 20 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 4 cups monterey jack cheese
- 4 cups mild cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 small green pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 anaheim chili
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced for topping
- ham, diced (optional) or Canadian bacon, cooked (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Chop the onion and peppers, then saute lightly in the olive oil.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, separate the egg yolks from the whites, leaving the yolks in the bowl.
- Add milk, flour, garlic, and black pepper to the yolks, then mix well.
- Add sour cream, the cheeses, and vegetables to the egg mixture.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold the beaten whites into the mixture in the other bowl and blend together.
- Grease a baking dish with butter.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and place in the hot oven.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes , turning the dish occasionally, until the top starts to crack.
- Three quarters of the way through baking, top with the tomato slices.
- Serve with apple cinnamon tortillas lathered with honey butter.
This is good! Easier to make than it sounds. Very rich and pretty cheesy....but pretty eggy, too. Not for those who dislike eggs. Otherwise a delicious dish!