Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
This one was different than the others I saw on here so thought I'd add it. I'd seen it on facebook. The individual who posted stated it was from a Mississippi Magazine
- 2 lbs ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 4 ounces mayonnaise or 4 ounces light sour cream
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cups biscuit mix (I would find something else for this to many carbs!!!! )
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) cansliced jalapeno peppers
- Heat oven to 325. Brown ground beef and add taco seasoning and water, according to packet instructions; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, 4 ounces of cheddar cheese, and half of the onions; set aside.
- Stir biscuit mix and water (directions on box) to form soft dough. Pat dough on the bottom and one-half-inch up the sides of an 9 x 13 inches greased casserole dish.
- Saute remaining onions and bell peppers until slightly tender.
- On top of biscuit mix, evenly distribute ingredients in the following order: ground beef, tomato slices, green peppers, onions, jalapeno peppers, sour cream mixture and end with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until edges of dough are lightly browned.
There is a B&B in South Dakota that serves this, but they use tater tots, it is fast and easy. I dice up potatoes and use those instead to save on calories and going to try substituting cream of mushroom soup for the mayo and see how that works out.
This is delicious! It was a huge hit with the family. I did cook the peppers and onions until they were almost caramelized and omitted the jalapenos on half of the casserole for the little ones. The biscuit base makes a perfect tex-mex dish. Will use again!
This person is worried about the carbs when there is a ton of fat in this recipe? dump the mayo and use lite sour cream!