Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Sticky toffee pudding that is still made to John Tovey's original recipe. Some even say it's the best in the world. Most desserts are worthy of applause, but rare is the one that warrants a standing ovation, as does this authentic toffee pudding.
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 6 ounces brown sugar (or turbinado sugar)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 8 ounces self rising flour
- 8 ounces boiling water
- 6 ounces dates
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon camp coffee or 1 tablespoon strong espresso
- 3 ounces brown sugar
- 2 ounces butter
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Cream butter and sugar, add beaten eggs.
- Fold in flour.
- Pour boiling water over dates, add vanilla, add vanilla, coffee and baking soda.
- Mix the 2 batters together.
- Pour into buttered 9-inch pan and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 375ºF.
- Boil the butter, brown sugar and cream until melted. Pour over baked pudding and run under the broiler until it bubbles.
- Note: Check it after 1 1/4 hour to make sure it doesn't get over done. Some like to make double sauce to have extra to serve at the table. Don't make it too far in advance of serving as it should be warm!
This is truly the best Sticky toffee . I make it every Christmas . A correction to the other review . John Tovey's country house is Miller Howe. Sharrow Bay was owned by Francis Coulson and Brian Sack. Stayed at both many tiomes. The new owners of Miller Howe keep up to JOhn's standards
Last time I ate this was at the Sharrow Bay Hotel (founded by John Tovey) looking out over Lake Ullswater. John himself came round with the breadrolls. An evening, even after all these years, I will not forget. The pudding however tasted just the same as I remembered it. Sublime! Cook'n'Vixen whats up?? This pud is the 'bomb!' Got to be eaten with the best vanilla icecream you can get your mits on and (hey you have blown the diet for the week anyways) a dollop of thickened sweet cream. Thanks xx
I did not like this recipe. I used a 9x11 pan to bake the cake and after only 55 minutes, it was overdone. So, I would definitely recommend checking the cake after 45 minutes. Secondly, I did not like the overall flavor. It did not have that brown sugar cake taste. It was not a bad cake but it was not a good cake either. The sauce made the cake taste better but it still was not anything great. Sorry :(