Recipe by John W Wenzelburger
I do not like spicy hot foods very much so most people will find this to be a very mild chili. Sazon Goya - Con Azafran is a spice mix (not hot at all) that you can find in the Mexican section of the supermarket. Several small envelopes are in a small box. I add it to most soup and stew type recipes. It adds a reddish yellow color and a good flavor. Abobo seasoning is also in the Mexican section. It is mostly salt so I use it instead of salt to add a little flavor.
Top Review by BrindleGirlD
Thank you for sharing, I make a similar type recipe with macaroni added. This is Quite good. I too use Sazon in many recipes and as it has salt as well as most canned vegetablesso I personally dont add extra for our health reasons. i am
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- 1 large carrot, chopped 1/4 inch
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package McCormick mild chili seasoning
- 1 (1/2 ounce) packageazafran mixed spice (see above)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, not drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato puree (or more sauce)
- 1 (7 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can mild green chilies
- 1 cup white wine or 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon abobo seasoning or 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium size stock pot or frying pan if using a crock pot,
- Over medium high heat, cook ground Turkey until almost done, drain fat,.
- Add Onion, Celery, Carrot and Garlic.
- Cook on medium until Carrots start to get soft, stirring often.
- Add spice mixes stir in well and cook for a minute or two.
- Add Wine (Chicken Broth if not using wine) reduce by half.
- If using a crock-pot you can start adding the rest of the ingredients while the meat and vegetables are cooking.
- Add rest of ingredients to stock pot or crock-pot and mix well.
- If using a crock-pot cook for 3 or 4 hours on low.
- Everything that needs it is already cooked so we are just merging flavors.
- If using a stock pot on the stove; simmer for 2 hours stirring every 15 minute.