Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Worked on this recipe a long time, followed some tips from some of the World Championship Chili Cook-off winners and got it right. It's been tested many times, but you MUST like hot food! Enjoy! WARNING: MAKE IT ONCE A YEAR ONLY, if you have any heart problems, stay away from this recipe, I take no responsibility for what this recipe does to your arteries.
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 3 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 3 hot Italian sausages, casings removed
- 3 large white onions, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can jalapenos, diced
- 1 (30 ounce) canof mixed beans
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans corn
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 small fresh jalapenos, red and green
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon hot chili powder
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 5 tablespoons red chili powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (20 ounce) can beer
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano (2)
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Brown sausage, dry, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot, and brown beef.
- Add the cooked sausage to the pot.
- Add the onion and beef broth to cover the meat.
- Boil for 15 minutes.
- Add oregano and half of the cumin.
- Reduce heat to a light boil, and then add the garlic.
- Combine the chile powders into a mixture, and then add half of that mixture to the pot, and cook 15 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and tomatoes with the with green chilies.
- Add the chicken broth for the desired consistency.
- Cook for one hour, stirring often.
- Add the remaining chile powder mixture and the remaining cumin, and simmer for another 25 minutes on low to medium heat.
- Turn up the heat to a light boil, and add the Tabasco®, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, lime juice and salt.
- Hint: The entire thing should cook for 4-5 hrs start to finish, the longer the better. Great chili needs love, stand beside it and stir often, I have a few beers while I wait, helps pass the time! Best when it is re-heated.