Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
Zesty and tangy! From "John Madden's Ultimate Tailgating"... this is a fabulous BBQ beef recipe for those Sunday or Monday Night Football parties, tailgating at the stadium, or just 'cause they're soooo good. Cook time doesn't include preparation of the roast.
Top Review by Lucky Clover
I LOVE BBQ, and this is some of the BEST! Definitely the best I have ever fixed. We loved it! I made the roast in the crock pot so it would be nice and tender, and I used another reviewer's suggestion of using beef broth instead of water. Other than that, I made it exactly as directed. Thanks for the recipe! It will be going in my favorites.
- 3 lbs beef roast, cooked,cooled and shredded (I like rump roast because it's not so greasy)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup minced celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan or small soup pot, brown onions in butter until tender.
- Add all other ingredients including cooked and shredded beef.
- Cover and cook over low heat for at least 2 hours, uncovering for the last 1/2 hour or so; or in a crock pot on low heat for 6 to 8 hours.
- (I can't vouch for the crock pot method, but stovetop works just fine!).
- Serve on buns or rolls.