Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This was our first attempt at beer butt chicken and it was awesome! You can change the flavor a bit by changing the beer you use.
- 4 -5 lbs chicken
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Mix dry ingredients together and rub chicken inside and out.
- Open can of beer, pour half into a spray bottle and add orange juice, olive oil and vinegar to spray bottle.
- Insert the can into the cavity of the chicken.
- With the chicken resting on the can, cook for about 2 hours over medium-hot grill with grill cover on spray chicken with the basting spray while cooking.
- When done, carefully lift the chicken off the grill and remove the can-- be careful, liquid is HOT!
This bird was sooo Juicy! this was also my first Beer Can Chicken. I did not use the Chinese 5 Spice powder because when i went to buy it , there were several ingredients that i dont care for, and i didnt want to risk the chicken. Otherwise, I followed the recipe 100% I purchsed one of those Holder/Stands specifally made for beer can chicken. It worked awesome. I love how the basting spray crisps the skin (my favorite part), however the BF doesnt care for the skin so I think next time the only thing i might do different is use my meat injector and inject some of the liquid Basting Spray into the breast of the chicken for some flavor. This Is an AWESOME RECIPE.
Such a good recipe. The chicken was very flavourful and moist. I added a little Louisiana Hot Sauce to the spray for a little extra zing. I can't wait to make this recipe again. Thanks for posting.