Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Absolutely wonderful flavored meatballs. Very tender and moist. I used 6 serrano peppers in place of the jalapenos (serranos are much more flavorful and often stronger than jalapenos). Serve with your favorite red pasta sauce. Not sure of the exact servings but this would probably serve 4-6 easily. I just freeze the leftovers since it is just 2 of us. Source: Joe Mastrella of Joey Pots and Pans, NYC
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh 15% fat ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb fresh ground ground lean pork
- 1 large red onion, 1/4-inch Dice
- 8 ounces plain breadcrumbs, Unseasoned
- 8 -12 ounces parmesan cheese
- 6 jalapeno peppers, seeded 1/4-inch Dice
- 12 large garlic cloves, 1/4-inch Dice
- 8 ounces very lean bacon, Fat Removed, 1/4-inch Dice
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, course chop
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- fresh ground pepper
- Remove Beef and Pork from fridge, bring to room temp in a large bowl or pot.
- In separate batches sauté Onion, Jalapeno and Garlic until soft, add to meat. Sauté Bacon until cooked, add to meat. Add Bread Crumbs, Parmesan Cheese and Cilantro to meat.
- Using your hand, combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Beat eggs with water, add to meat mixture, and combine thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a 10-inch non stick frying pan add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Portion meatballs to desired size and brown on all sides. Place meatballs in tomato sauce to finish cooking.
- Meatball mixture can also be cooked in a meat loaf pan.