1/1 Photo of Joe's Swiss Roast
Smokin' Joe of Wixom's Note:
We had a large left-over Round Roast we needed to do something new with. I found a recipe for Swiss Steak and 'reconfigured' it to work. It turned out really good. Here it is! To save time, I used instant mashed potatoes, but if this turns you off, you can substitute with real. Also, I would imagine that any leftover beef would work in this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb round roast (leftover)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup red onion (sliced thinly)
- 1/2 cup celery (sliced thinly)
- 1/2 cup carrot (sliced thinly)
- 16 ounces tomatoes, diced in juice (1 can)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/4 cups water (divided)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk, 2%
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup instant mashed potatoes
- 1In a large plastic storage bag, add flour, 1/4 tsp salt, pepper, and shake to mix. Slice the round roast into four servings, about 3/8 inch thick and place in the bag with the flour mixture. Shake and massage the bag to coat the meat. Set aside.
- 2Add the oil to a large skillet and cook the onions, carrots and celery until the onions are translucent. Move the vegetables to the outside of the skillet and place the coated meat, and any remaining flour, in the center. Pan-fry the meat for about a minute on each side to slightly brown the meat. Add more oil if needed. Add the thyme, tomatoes and 1 cup water and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for about 15 minutes. The liquid should reduce and thicken. Stir as needed to avoid sticking.
- 3Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan, heat 1-1/4 cup water, milk, butter, garlic and 1/2 tsp salt to boiling. Remove from heat, add instant potatoes, stir and let set for a minute to fluff up.
- 4Plate the meat and potatoes, cover both with the tomato sauce, and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Joe's Swiss Roast
Serving Size: 1 (474 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 407.6
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 89.8 mg
- Sodium 611.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 27.4 g