Recipe by Chef Teer
My own recipe. My wife and i love these sweet peppers. They are great on hot dogs,hamburgers,sub sandwiches or just about anything you wanna put them on or in.
- 1⁄2 lb banana pepper, seeded and slicded across, so you have rings
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large onion, halved and cut into 1-inch slices
- 6 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Sterilize 2- 1/2 pint jars.
- Bring the peppers corns,vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, celery seed, and remaining ingredients to a rolling boil.
- Remove bay leaves unless you prefer to leave in for appearance.
- Place peppers in the 1/2 pint jars.
- Pour on the pickling juice.
- Bring brine to within 1/2" of the top.
- Be sure the edge of the jar has no juice on it.
- Seal in jars and leave for 2 weeks before opening.**.
- **This is an heirloom method no longer recommended by the USDA/NCHFP (National Center For Home Food Preservation). To meet current guidelines, the filled jars should be processed in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes up to 1000 feet in elevation, 15 minutes from 1000 to 6000 feet, and 20 minutes at over 6000 feet.