1/3 Photos of Joe's Special (Ground Beef, Spinach & Eggs)
According to my cookbooks, Joe's Special is a San Francisco specialty dating to the 1920's. I have seen several versions; what they all have in common is ground beef, spinach and eggs. This is not fancy, but it makes a great main dish for a light supper or brunch. I like to serve this with toasted Beer Bread and a fresh fruit salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained or
- 2 (6 ounce) bags fresh baby spinach leaves (chop or leave whole)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1Beat the eggs and set aside for step 7.
- 2Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- 3When the butter has melted, add the ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crumbly.
- 4Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is tender but not browned.
- 5Stir in the spinach, basil, oregano and nutmeg.
- 6If using fresh spinach, cook until the spinach wilts.
- 7Add the beaten eggs to the beef/spinach mixture and cook until the eggs are set, about 3 minutes.
- 8Add salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Joe's Special (Ground Beef, Spinach & Eggs)
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.8
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 267.3 mg
- Sodium 292.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 34.3 g