Tired of eating Candy-Cane Joe-Joe cookies straight out of the box? Try them in this recipe! (note: this year I've also seen peppermint Oreos, so you could use those if you don't have a Trader Joes near you). These delicious, fudge-y brownies are made with the popular candy-cane chocolate wafer cookie available at Trader Joe's during the holidays. Make these early in the day as they slice best when cooled completely.
- 1 cup butter
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups roughly chopped peppermint oreos (approx 18)
- 1 candy cane (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, and grease lightly.
- In a medium-large saucepan over low heat, melt together butter and chocolate, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sugar, salt and vanilla & peppermint extracts; remove from heat.
- Whisk in eggs one at a time, waiting until each is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Stir in flour and cocoa powder until mixture is uniform. Stir in crushed cookies.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- If desired, crush 3-4 additional cookies finely and scatter on top of batter. You can also crush 1 candy-cane and sprinkle it on top; it will melt slightly but still be pretty and festive.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs, but not coated with batter.
- Cool brownies in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes, then lift brownies in the foil out of the pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely (at least one more hour) before slicing.