Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup sweet red pepper
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (can use tabasco or cayenne pepper)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup canned corn
- 1 cup of canned zucchini (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs okra, sliced (fresh or frozen)
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 9 cups rice, cooked
- Heat a large frying pan and add flour.
- Toast until flour is browned.
- Remove from heat.
- In a large soup pot, add the oil, then sauté the celery, onion, green pepper, carrot, garlic and tomatoes and cook, stirring all the time, until almost tender.
- Stir in the flour to coat the veggies.
- Add the chicken stock and seasonings and simmer a few minutes until vegetables are tender.
- While vegetable mixture is simmering, slice sausage into bite size chunks and brown in skillet.
- When ready, add to vegetable mixture.
- Simmer and stir about 30 minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Add okra and simmer another 10-15 minutes.
- Serve about 1 1/2 cups gumbo over 3/4 cup cooked rice and pass the hot sauce!
AMAZING! My first time making gumbo, but it turned out great. We did a few substitutions, including boudin and chicken instead of sausage. Thanks so much!
Please thank your brother Joerg for this delicious gumbo recipe!! We really loved all of the vegetables that are in it and the perfect blend of spices. I used Cajun andouille sausage which added an authentic flavor. My family devoured this soup and gave it 2 HUGE thumbs up!! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper!!
Excellent - my kids went nuts over it. I added chicken andoille sausage - worked like a charm. Nice blend of spices.