Prep 30 mins
Cook 11 mins
In 'The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion'
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons dark rum (or apple juice or water)
- Preheat oven to 375°; lightly grease (or line w/ parchment paper) 2 baking sheets.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, spices, salt, and baking soda.
- In a saucepan set over low heat, or in the microwave, melt together the butter, sugar, molasses, and rum.
- Stir the molasses mixture into the flour mixture; the dough will be wet and sticky.
- Cover and refrigerate the dough, for 30 minutes or longer; it will become quite firm.
- Using an overstuffed tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop out 2-inch balls of dough.
- Place the balls on the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between them.
- Flatten them slightly.
- Bake the cookies for 11 minutes, until they appear set (but not dark brown) around the edges.
- Remove them from the oven and transfer to a rack to cool.
- Store in airtight container as soon as they are just barely warm.