Recipe by Peace,Love&Hope
My whole family loves this recipe right down to brothers, sister, nieces and nephews.My Mom use to make it when I was a kid and now we all make it for our family's. This dish makes great left overs.
Top Review by Wolfangel
This was a huge hit with everyone in the house...thanks so much for sharing it with us!! I kept the chili peppers and cucumbers out and added green olives in place of the cucumbers.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 3 (16 ounce) cans chili beans
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 16 ounces fresh or frozen roasted chili peppers, chopped
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- 1 head lettuce
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup of chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 of a bell pepper
- 5 cups of shredded colby or 5 cups colby-monterey jack cheese
- Fritos corn chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown hamburger-drain, then season with salt,pepper and garlic powder. Add onions,green chilis,chili beans,kidney beans(drained) and tomatoe sauce.Do not drain the chili beans.Let simmer.
- Chop and mix all salad ingredients together while meat mixture is cooking.
- Cover bottom of two 13x9" glass dishes (any large pans will work) with fritos. cover with meat mixture, then salad, then top with cheese.Then start another layer with more fritos,meat mixture and salad, topping again with cheese. Layers must end with cheese. You may have as many layers as desired I usually have 2 layers per dish.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes in 350 degree oven just until all layers of cheese have melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.