Recipe by mersaydees
This is a great soup based on reader Jodee Rushton's recipe in Dana Carpender's cookbook, 500 Low-Carb Recipes. To me, Dana is the low-carb guru! She quotes Jodee in the recipe's introduction, "...this is satisfying as a quick between-meals snack, not to mention versatile: 'In the summer, pour it into a mug and drink it cold. In the winter, you might microwave it.'" Cooking time doesn't include the 4 hours refrigeration before serving.
Top Review by Chef on the coast
I really liked the flavors of this recipe - the rest of the family - not so much. It is a wonderful way to use those really big zucchinis though! I didn't puree the soup - just partially mashed with a potato masher. I like the "chunks" better myself. I also threw in some diced carrots for color. A very pretty presentation. I will post pics later. Made for the September 2010 Aussie/NZ recipe swap.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs zucchini, washed and sliced
- 28 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- In large soup pot, melt the butter and saute the onion in it until golden.
- Add the zucchini and saute over medium-high heat until limp, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the half-and-half, and allow mixture to cool.
- Add the broth mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. (You may have to do this in batches, if necessary.).
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours, to allow flavors to blend.
- Serve hot or cold.