1/1 Photo of Joan's Sorrel Soup
A delightfully different soup, from a friend of long-ago, Joan. She created beautiful pottery and beautiful food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 leeks, both green & white sliced thinly
- 5 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 12 cups fresh sorrel leaves (rinsed, trimmed, & tightly packed)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 medium potato, peeled & cut into cubes
- 1 cup Italian parsley, loosely packed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or I use 8 lemon verbena leaves)
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon (or I use 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon)
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1In a large Dutch oven, melt butter. Add leeks and garlic and saute until soft.
- 2Batch by batch, add sorrel, allow to wilt. Continue adding sorrel, stirring well to combine with leeks & garlic.
- 3Add remaining ingredients and cook for 1 hour at simmer.
- 4Puree mixture with immersion stick and add more stock if too thick.
- 5Serve with rye toast croutons.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Joan's Sorrel Soup
Serving Size: 1 (1768 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 396.3
- Calories from Fat 297
- Total Fat 33.0 g
- Saturated Fat 20.0 g
- Cholesterol 86.1 mg
- Sodium 250.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sorrel leaves