Recipe by Joany
Comfort food, simple but outstanding. Also rave reviews from the family
Top Review by Peachie Keene
I am glad I waited to post my review. At first I would have given it a 1 star - but little did I know that the olive oil on top made a HUGE difference! And Joany wasn't lying when she said it gets better with age. I would almost recommend cooking it and waiting a day or two before serving. And definitely don't forget the olive oil! What a great tasting and healthy soup!
- 1 lb dried lima beans
- 3 carrots, cut up
- 1 large onion, coarse chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, cut up
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 8 cups water or 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole chicken breast, bone in cut in half
- fresh cracked black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a crock pot place all ingredients expect salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Cover and cook low until a boil, This may be several hours. Turn to high and cook until beans are very soft which may be 1 or 2 hours more.
- When done, discard bay leaf. Carefully remove chicken from the bone and shred and return meat into the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil over soup in each serving bowl. Tastes better with age.