Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the files of my MIL. She used to make it for company. This serves 6 but can be easily doubled.
- 8 ounces ziti pasta
- 1 (16 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil, crushed (or 1 tbsp. basil, fresh, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook pasta according to box directions, to al dente, and drain.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and toss with the olive oil.
- Drain marinade from the artichokes into a 10" skillet and heat.
- Set the artichokes aside and cut into halves.
- Add the garlic and onions to the marinade liquid in the skillet and simmer until the onions are translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, herbs (except parsley), and salt.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook another 10 minutes.
- Add the artichokes to the sauce mixture and heat for a few minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and stir in the parsley.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and cool the sauce to room temperature. Once cooled, pour over the pasta and toss until well blended.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top or serve along side the pasta.