Recipe by Grace Lynn
This is my picky husband's favorite salsa. Sometimes he'll just eat the salsa by itself as a salad! This recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks, "The Junior League Celebration Cookbook." Cooking time is refrigeration time.
Top Review by Melly2
WOW! I love this stuff. I only used 1 jalapeno and had no garlic or cumin available. I also increased the cilantro cause I love it. I used medium shrimp and it was fantastic. Thanks for posting. Oh...also yummy to add some cocktail sauce for a fun twist.
- 2 large ripe tomatoes or 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 cup diced red onion
- 1⁄8 cup seeded and diced jalapeno pepper (about 4)
- 8 ounces small bay shrimp, cooked and shelled or 8 ounces medium shrimp, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Drop the fresh tomatoes into a small pan of boiling water for about 2 minutes or until the skins blister.
- Remove from the water, cool, and peel.
- Coarsely chop the fresh or canned tomatoes and place in a large bowl.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Serve with baked tortilla chips or as a side dish.
- For a thicker salsa, combine all the ingredients except shrimp in a food processor; pulse 3 times or until desired consistency.
- Stir in shrimp.