Recipe by Missy Wombat
Joanna originally comes from Sicily and is the cook at my daughter's daycare. She makes wonderful wholesome food for babies through to preschoolers and most of them eat her food most of the time! This even works with UHT treated milk which means that you can make ricotta a about 1/3 to 1/4 of the usual store price!
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the milk and the juice together in a saucepan.
- Heat the milk slowly stirring continuously and curd will form as the temperature increases.
- Keep heating and stirring until just short of boiling.
- Do not allow to boil.
- Line a sieve with a double layer of clean cheesecloth and pour the milk mixture through the sieve.
- The milk mixture will separate leaving ricotta cheese in the muslin and whey in the container underneath.
- Put the ricotta in the refrigerator and use within the next 48 hours.