Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have cooked this stuffing for years. My family loves it.
- 1 lb breakfast sausage (i.e., Jimmy Dean)
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery, including leaves
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds (optional)
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1 pinch ground cloves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 -12 cups lightly toasted bread, cubes
- 1 cup dried cranberries (Craisins) or 1 cup cherries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup white wine
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the sausage, onion, celery, garlic, sage, thyme, celery seeds, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
- Saute, until the sausage is no longer pink and onion is soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Do not drain.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, toss the sauteed vegetables with the bread cubes and cranberries/cherries.
- Season with pepper.
- Pour it over the stuffing, along with the broth, and toss to coat.
- The stuffing should just barely hold together when mounded on a spoon.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Stuff the bird, or, if baking some or all of the stuffing in a casserole.
- Bake it covered until heated through, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- For a crunchy top, uncover it for the last 15 minutes of baking.
- Makes 14 cups.
- Serving size= 1 cup.