Recipe by blucoat
This is Joan Nathan's own recipe for matzo balls. It's lightly spiced for a nice (but not too different) change from the plain matzo ball. Dough requires a few hours of refrigeration.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or 3 tablespoons chicken fat
- 6 large eggs, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄4 cups matzo meal
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the chicken fat or vegetable oil with the eggs, salt, nutmeg, ginger, matzo meal and parsley together in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a large pot. Take the matzo mix out of the refrigerator and, after dipping your hands into a bowl of cold water, gently form balls the size of large walnuts. Add the salt to the water and drop in the balls.
- Simmer slowly, covered, for about 20 minutes, remove from water with a slotted spoon, and add to the soup.