Recipe by carrie sheridan
This is always impressive--and there is enough leftover to make shepherd's pie, which is a real man pleaser!
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut slits into leg of lamb and insert slivers of garlic [to taste -- you can also add whole unpeeled cloves of garlic to the pan, once some drippings have formed in the pan].
- Coat leg of lamb with oil.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and fines herbes, patting these into the oil.
- Bake 25 minutes per lb for rare, or longer for medium.
- Remove and let sit for 20 minutes before serving --.
- Remove excess fat from pan and make gravy with water and cornstarch (which has been dissolved in cold water and THEN added) to thicken.
- For shepherd's pie leftovers: Trim meat off bone after dinner; cut into 1-2 inch cubes; grind in a food processor or blender; add chopped onion to taste; add enough gravy to bind and moisten [can use Knorr beef gravy mix in a packet or better than bouillon beef base].
- Steam 1 potato per 1 cup of ground meat; mash with some milk, butter, salt and pepper to taste; put 1/3 of potato mixture into ground meat; pat into a casserole and top with remaining mashed potatoes; sprinkle with paprika and bake at 375°F until it's bubbling (about 30 minutes).