Recipe by Sharlene~W
This is the chili my family has been enjoying for years. I make it so it isn't too spicy for the kids, but feel free to kick it up.
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 4 tablespoons dark chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I give them a short whirl in the food processor to break them up more)
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- chopped onion
- chopped fresh jalapeno
- grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in oil until nearly translucent; add ground beef and brown, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Add seasonings and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomato sauce, catsup, tomatoes, water and kidney beans. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, for at least a half hour, adding additional water if necessary.
- Serve with onions, jalapenos, cheese, and sour cream.